WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – The Suffolk baseball team ended its three-game winning streak Monday afternoon with a 2-1 loss to Dickinson in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Dickinson 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-1) | Dickinson (8-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
All the scoring on either side came in the fourth. The Devils put two away in the top of the inning and Suffolk tried to make up ground in the bottom half. Kevin Higgins led off with a triple and came in on Trevor Lee's single to trim the margin to one. Sean Cameron's sac bunt moved Lee to second before the sophomore stole third shortly after. The tying run was stranded, however, with Brady Chant going down swinging and Matt Brenner flying out to right.
Down the stretch, the Rams left the equalizing run on twice, in the seventh and eighth, respectively, but did not capitalize as Dickinson held on for the 2-1 win.
- Chant was the lone Ram to produce multiple hits on the afternoon with the junior center fielder going 2-for-5 at the plate including a double.
- Zach Grogan's and Higgins' sole hits were triples with Seth Coiley's also registering extra bases in his hit with a double.
- Lee recorded Suffolk's only RBI of the afternoon with Higgins tallying the single Rams' run.
- For the first time this season, Suffolk was limited to single digit hits with eight with the Devils notching 11.
- In his first appearance of the season, Tim Conroy went 7.0 innings, allowing two runs, one earned, one 10 hits and struck out four in the setback.
- Kyle Musco came on in relief for the final 2.0 innings, his first appearance as a Ram. The sophomore gave up just one hit.
- Ethan Collins earned the win for the Devils, limiting the Rams to one run on six hits in 5.1 innings of work. He sat down eight Suffolk hitters.
- Reid Collins picked up a save, with a no-run, two-hit, four-strikeout 3.2 inning relief performance.
- Suffolk starts its season 3-1 for the second straight season.
- The Rams hit two triples in one game for the first time since matching that feat in a 15-3 win at Eastern Connecticut state April 13, 2016.
- Higgins produced the first triple of his career with Grogan notching his second triple of the season and in as many games.
- Lee's RBI was the first of the season for the sophomore and matched his career best RBI output.
Suffolk looks to return to the win column tomorrow, Tuesday, March 14 as it takes on RIT on its fifth day of the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.