EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk baseball team went 2-0 in its GNAC opener as the Rams followed up a 4-3 victory over Norwich with a 3-1 triumph against the Cadets Saturday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Norwich 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (8-6, 2-0 GNAC) | Norwich (5-13, 0-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Norwich quickly grabbed a one-run lead, but Suffolk righted the wrong in the bottom of the second. Matt Brenner drilled a floater to the fence in right center to open the frame. Greg Speliotis followed with a single through the right side to knot the score. Luke Ronchi sent a double down the right field line to put runners on the corners and Kevin Belskie gave the Rams a 2-1 lead on a ground out to second. Kyle Faquharson went to pick off Ronchi on third, but over threw, allowing the senior right fielder to saunter home, making it a 3-1 contest.
The contest stood at a standstill from there will neither team building off base runner momentum. In the Top of the seventh, the Cadets put in a handle of pinch hitters and one was successful to with a single, but Suffolk sealed up the sweep on a 643 double play.
- Brenner (1-3), Speliotis (1-2) and Ronchi (1-2) combined for Suffolk's three hits with trio responsible for all three of the Rams' runs, each scoring one apiece.
- Speliotis, who also drew one walk, had one RBI with Belskie responsible for the other.
- Mark Fusco dealt complete-game, allowing one unearned run off three hits with one strikeout and one walk.
- Faquharson also went the full seven. The Cadets arm sat down 10 Rams, gave up three runs on three hits and walked three batters.
- Fusco earned the nod for the first time in his collegiate career.
- Suffolk swept its GNAC opener for the first time since taking down Anna Maria in a two-game series, 9-0, 5-0 in 2014.
- The conference opening sweep is the second under head coach Anthony Del Prete.
Suffolk wraps up the GNAC weekend tomorrow as it takes on Rivier in Eastie. The contest, which will be hosted by the Raiders, will begin at 1 p.m.