EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk baseball team dropped a non-conference 17-2 decision to Western New England University Tuesday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 2, Western New England 17
RECORDS: Suffolk (16-8) | Western New England (17-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Golden Bears hit early and often to take a 3-0 lead after the first frame with the lead blossoming to six runs, 6-0, after four complete innings. After a scoreless fifth, WNE stretched its lead even more going ahead 15-0.
Suffolk put its offense in motion in the bottom of the seventh. Matt Brenner's double led off the inning with an error advancing the senior catcher to third. Two hitters later, a fielder's choice let Brenner strut in to end the shutout.
After an additional pair of Golden Bears came in in the eighth, Tommy Shimchak notched an RBI single to bring in Suffolk's second run of the day and end the scoring on the afternoon.
- Sean Cameron, Brenner, Shimchak, Anthony Riga and BJ Neil all registered one hit for the Rams.
- Brenner knocked the only extra base hits for the Rams, a double, and scored one of the two Suffolk runs.
- Shimchak and Kevin Belskie recorded an RBI apiece.
- Worth Walrod suffered the setback on the hill, allowing 10 runs on nine hits with three strikeouts through 5.0 innings.
- Charles Batchelder gave up five runs on six hits and two walks in one frame.
- Tyler Zell worked the final three innings on the bump, letting up two runs on two hits and one walk to go along with four Ks.
Suffolk takes a day off before return to action Thursday, April 20 in a rematch with Curry with the Colonels visiting East Boston Memorial Park for a 4 p.m. showdown.