BOSTON – The Suffolk men's basketball team put its second straight victory together as the Rams took down Boston rival Wheelock, 73-52, at Winsor Gym Monday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 73, Wheelock 52
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-4) | Wheelock (1-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk grabbed a quick 5-0 lead thanks to Michael Hagopian hitting the first shot of the night from behind the arc and Kevin Querusio hitting a baby jumper. The Wildcats clawed back from there and flipped the score in their favor at the 12:40 minute mark. Newly named GNAC Corvias Rookie of the Week Brendan Mulson put the Rams back in front, 15-14, as he knocked down the first of a trio of threes over the first 20 minutes.
The score slowed before the lead went on a see-saw, exchanging twice more before the contest equalized at 23-all. Mulson put the blue-and-gold ahead, 26-23, for good with his second trey of the evening. Suffolk outscored Wheelock, 7-2 over the final 3:37 to head into intermission up 10, 36-26.
Out of the locker room a comeback by the Wildcats never came as the Rams kept them quiet and built their 10-point cushion into as many as 19 points on multiple occasions to walk away with the 73-52 non-conference win.
- Hagopian's 17 points led the charge with Mulson (14), Querusio (12) and Duffy (11) all contributing double figures in the victory.
- Hagopian, Mulson and Querusio each pulled down eight boards apiece to help the Rams outrebound the Wildcats, 37-27.
- As a team, Suffolk shot 48.2 percent (27-56) from the floor, 46.2 percent (12-26) from three-point range and 77.8 percent (7-9) from the foul line.
- Suffolk won its second straight game versus Wheelock to improve to 3-1 all-time versus the Wildcats.
- The win marks the second consecutive for the Rams which is the first time Suffolk strung back-to-back victories together this season and since Jan. 28-Feb. 1, 2017.
- Querusio produced a career-high 12 points and matched his career-best in rebounds (8).
- Mulson recorded double figures for the second straight game and second-time in his collegiate career.
- Duffy and Hagopian have each notched double figures in all, but one of Suffolk's seven contests this season.
Suffolk returns to the friendly confines of Regan Gymnasium Saturday, Dec. 9 when the Rams entertain Lesley at 1 p.m.