TUCSON – On its third day of action of the Tucson Invitational the Suffolk softball team fell to Wisconsin La Crosse 5-1 Tuesday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Wisconsin La Crosse 5
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-2) | Wisconsin La Crosse (8-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk fell in a 2-0 hole after two innings with the Eagles putting away two runs in the bottom of the second. The Rams got on the board in the next half inning though to make it a game. With two outs, Jill Pulek knocked an RBI double to plate Devlin Frost, who reached on a fielder's choice, to trim the margin to one.
La Crosse rebuilt its two-run lead in the bottom of the fourth and tacked on two insurance runs to stretch its advantage to 5-1 after five complete innings.
The Rams stranded one runner on the sixth as Pulek led off with a single to open a rally, but the Eagles took down three Suffolk's batters in a row from there to keep things where they stood. Same can be said of the seventh inning, which saw a lead-off single from Evelyn Marquis and Sydney Littlefield drawing a walk two batters later to set-up the comeback. Karina Miranda flew out to center to move the runners into scoring position, but a fly out to left field from Frost sealed the Rams' 5-1 setback fate.
- Six different Rams combined for eight total hits in the outing with Pulek and Marquis each contributing multi-hit days, going 2-for-3, respectively. Pulek also contributed Suffolk's lone RBI on the afternoon.
- Frost was the only Suffolk player to cross home plate on the day, scoring the blue-and-gold's only run.
- Suffolk outhit La Crosse by one, 8-7.
- Ali Yamakaitis fell for the first time this season with the junior twirler tossing 6.0 innings, giving up five runs, four earned, off seven hits. She punched out five Eagles in the setback, which puts her at 2-1 on the year.
- Jessie Carigan earned the win in the circle for the Eagles. In 4.0 innings of action, she limited Suffolk to one run on six hits.
- Katie Klein produced a save in the final 3.0 innings, which she held the Rams scoreless and let up just two hits with three strikeouts.
- Pulek has registered at least one hit in the last three outings. Five games into her sophomore season she has tallied a double in four contests including three straight.
Suffolk closes out its third day in the west where it will play Puget Sound under the lights.