BOSTON – Ram Nation now has the chance to get a glimpse into Suffolk Athletics history though clipping and pictures from the Rams’ record books and archives.
On this date, August 29, in 1947, the University’s second-ever year with an athletics department, Harry L. MaLette, Director of Student Affairs, confirmed Suffolk’s submission to the Blue Book of College Athletics, which is a comprehensive guide covering nearly 12,000 institutions of higher learning athletic departments.
Eight decades ago, Suffolk University’s make-up was over 1,800 men and give-or-take 75-plus women.
The Rams still sported blue-and-gold, but a lighter shade, royal blue, to mimic the athletic department’s nick name, Royals.
Suffolk had just three teams competing at the time – football, baseball and men’s basketball, all of which were coached by the University’s first-ever Director of Athletics Charles Law. Law also supervised the intramural programs made up of basketball, soccer, softball and volleyball.
To get a better glimpse at MaLette’s letter, click here.
Be on the lookout for more historical days in Suffolk Athletics history and use the hashtag #RamsRewind to see them all.