PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Suffolk men's basketball team was limited to just 51 points at Johnson & Wales as the Wildcats put on the pressure and excelled offensively to defeat the Rams, 77-51, inside the Wildcat Center Wednesday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 51, JWU 61
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-14, 3-8 GNAC) | JWU (8-8, 8-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first half of the contest it remained a two-possession game with JWU in front for the majority of the way. At the 8:25 minute mark Kevin Querusio connected on a jump shot to keep it a four-point game, 16-12, before the Wildcats roared out to a 15-0 stretch to take a put the Rams in a 31-12 hole.
It was hoop-for-hoop of intermission with the Wildcats keeping a Rams comeback at bay. Suffolk dwindled the lead down to 11, however, with 12:47 to play on a Austin Prevost jumper, but JWU responded by pushing the lead to 20 for the first time just three minutes later on a pair of Jernigan free throws.
The Wildcats did not look back from there, handling the blue-and-gold the rest of the way to walk away with the 71-55 victory.
- Grillakis was the lone Ram in double figures with 10 points off a 5-for-9 night from the floor. The freshman was two rebounds shy of a double-double effort, finishing the night with a team-best eight, including six on the defensive end, and contributed one assist and one steal to his performance.
- Prevost recorded nine points, four boards, one block and one steal.
- Hagopian added eight points, while Thomas Duffy pulled won seven rebounds.
- Suffolk went 20-for-49 for the night to finish with a 40.8 connection rate from the floor, struggled from three-point range and at the charity stripe, shooting just 25.0 and 57.1 percent, respectively.
- JWU held the upper hand on the glass, 39-34, and forced 27 Suffolk mistakes, converting each turnover into one point.
- Grillakis led Suffolk offensively (10 pts.) and defensively (8 rbs.) for the first time in his career.
- Prevost made his first collegiate start.
The Rams return to Regan Gymnasium Saturday, Jan. 28 for Suffokl's final double header of the regular season. The women's squad gets the action underway at 1 p.m. versus Saint Joseph (Conn.), before the men welcome Anna Maria to Beacon Hill for a 3:15 p.m. matchup.