PAXTON, Mass. – Suffolk men's soccer broke open a 2-all tie, scoring four goals over a 14-minute span in the second half to take a 6-2 win over Anna Maria at AMCAT Field Wednesday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 6 | Anna Maria 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-4-1, 2-3-0 GNAC) | Anna Maria (4-8-0, 1-2-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk started the scoring at 13:05 when the Rams knocked down a goal kick that landed at midfield and the fall found Simon Velez Angel. The senior tapped the ball ahead to a running Tucker Mee near the goalie box and the junior slipped the ball past a sliding AMCAT keeper Jeffre Donahue for the 1-0 edge.
The Rams added to their advantage seven minutes later on a free kick. Trevor Murdock put the ball in net, but Donahue shut Murdock down. Jackson Hines picked up the deflection and found the back of the net on the netminder's left side for the two-goal margin.
Anna Maria sliced the distance in half with just under six minutes left before intermission. Nick Lawrence collected the ball off a missed slide tackle by the Rams and found a sprinting Hezekiah Adeyeye in the middle of the field. The freshman blasted a shot past the left side of Tom Bennett to trim Suffolk's cushion to 2-1.
Four minutes later, the AMCATs leveled the playing field courtesy of Jared Schuster with 1:14 left before halftime. Adeyeye sent a low line drive into the box on a free kick and Schuester broke free from the scramble to score on the lower left of the net to send the teams into the locker room level at 2-all.
Donahue kept the hosts in the game with a trio of saves in a row after Suffolk peppered shots at the keeper at the 52nd minute mark. The Rams managed to break the tie 10 minutes later, however, and never looked back.
First, Suffolk capitalized off another free-kick when Leonardo Acosta lofted his kick into scrum of AMCATS and Rams and Sunjoon Tenorio's diving header was just out of reach of Donahue's gloves for the 3-2 lead.
A minute and a half later Tenorio potted his second marker of the day to stretch Suffolk's advantage back to two.
Acosta got in on the scoring action in the 72nd minute and Emilio Tenacio rounded out the scoring frenzy 6:21 later for the four-goal, 6-2, final.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Bennett had a four-save effort to improve to 2-2 on the year.
- Kyle Rosa came in in relief for the Rams.
- Donahue dipped to 3-5 on the save despite a 12-stop performance.
- Tenorio anchored Suffolk's attack with a two-goal night, while Acosta also had multiple points on one marker and one handout to his credit.
- Hines, Mee and Tenacio all found the back of the net once for Suffolk.
- Velez Angel and Murdock dished out one assist apiece.
- Suffolk held the advantage in shots, 28-12, shots on goal, 18-6, and corners, 6-3.
- Suffolk won its fourth straight game against Anna Maria to move to 8-1-0 versus the AMCATs all-time.
- Tenorio netted a career-high two goals.
- Tenacio registered his first collegiate goal.
- Acosta and Hines each found the back of the net for the first time this season.
- Rosa made his first collegiate appearance in net.
- Velez Angel handed out his first collegiate assist.
Suffolk is right back on the road Saturday, Oct. 5, but the Rams won't travel fair as they are set for a cross city, conference battle at Emmanuel. The rivalry game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. start.