Big Second Half Helps Regis Past Men's Soccer

Big Second Half Helps Regis Past Men's Soccer

WESTON, Mass. – Regis College used a three-goal second-half to blank the Suffolk men's soccer team, 4-0, Thursday night in non-conference action at Regis Stadium.  

Both offenses had their chances throughout the first half, but it was Regis (4-2-1) that would strike first as Dillon Lanctot received a through ball from Mauro Barbosa and took a couple dribbles before firing past the Suffolk (0-5-1) keeper to make it a 1-0 game in the 38th minute of action. Valarez Emami nearly answered a minute later when he fired a shot on net, but Manny Santiago was there for the stop to preserve the 1-0 lead headed into the half. 

Early in the second half, Suffolk's Juan Ucros received a cross in the box and got off a shot, but it sailed wide of its mark and the score remained 1-0. Hamada Hazzoum nearly had the equalizer in the 57th minute, but Santiago was there for the save again to keep the Rams off the board. 

Don Gomez and Manny Santiago teamed up to give Regis a 2-0 lead in the game when Santiago booted the ball deep into Suffolk territory after gaining possession. Gomez received the ball and lost two defenders before beating the keeper 1-on-1 for the insurance goal. Brendan Plasczynski checked into the game during the stoppage and eventually gave the Pride a 3-0 lead after receiving a pass from Lanctot and banging in a goal off the crossbar. 

Derek Triana ounded out the scoring for Regis in the 77th minute when he worked a give-and-go with Mike Panagiotakos and buried a shot off the post and in. Neither team would threaten the rest of the way as the Pride picked up the 4-0 win. 

Manny Santiago picked up his fourth win of the year while making three saves. Suffolk's Nicholas Chamma suffered the setback, making four saves on the night. 

Suffolk continues the search for their first win of the year on Saturday when they travel to Lasell for a Great Northeast Athletic Conference matchup at 2:30 p.m.