NASHUA, N.H. – Emilio Tenacio lifted Suffolk men's soccer to a 2-1 overtime win over Rivier Wednesday night at Joanne Merrill Field to help the Rams end their season in the win column.
SCORE: Suffolk 2 | Rivier 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-9-1, 4-7-0 GNAC) | Rivier (1-17-1, 0-11-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier struck quickly in the contest as Ramon Bonfante was able to head home a corner kick from Kelvin Cortez just 1:54 into the outing. Bonfante's first goal of the season combined with Collin Deyamin gobbling up all three of the Rams' attempts on target in the first frame kept the Raiders ahead by one at half.
That advantage stood until the 83rd minute. Suffolk was able to capitalize on a defensive breakdown which led to Simon Velez Angel to feed Sal Perrotto deep inside the Raider goal box. Perrotto was able to fire off a shot into the lower left 90 to knot the game at one each with less than seven minutes remaining in regulation.
Patrick Mason had a chance to push the Rams over the edge with 2:22 left on the clock in the second stanza. The freshman's attempt met Deyamin and the tied contest held true as the 90-minute buzzer rang.
Less than four minutes into the overtime period, Tenorio netted the game winner as his shot was deflected into the back of the net off a Raider defender.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Kyle Rosa defended the pipes for Suffolk and faced just one shot.
- Deyamin finished with eight saves.
- Perrotto and Tenacio were responsible for the Rams' markers.
- Velez Angel had the lone assist for Suffolk.
- Suffolk out shot Rivier, 19-2, with a 10-1 edge in shots on goal.
- The Rams had the advantage in corners as well, 14-1.
- Suffolk won its fifth consecutive contest against the Raiders to move to 12-6-0 all-time against Rivier.
- The Rams and Raiders went into overtime for the first time in the all-time series.
- Suffolk went into overtime for the fifth time this season. The blue-and-gold went 2-2-1 in extra sessions in 2019.
- Tenacio's third marker of the year was his first collegiate game-winning goal.
- Velez Angel matched his personal-best two handouts.
- Perrotto scored his second strike of the year.
- Rosa competed in his third overtime contest in net. In OT, the Rams' rookie netminder is 2-1-0.