NORTH READING, Mass. –The Suffolk men's tennis team returned to the win column Tuesday night as it defeated Lesley, 7-2, at North Reading High School.
SCORE: Suffolk 7, Lesley 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-8) | Lesley (0-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Rams gained a 2-1 edge in doubles play behind victories on courts one and two. Rami Esrawi and Davis Altimonte put the blue-and-gold on the board first with a golden match over Gerry Chica and Evan Flaherty in the first spot. Mike DeFelice and Chris Parnagian made it 2-0 thanks to an 8-1 decision over Beowulf Urban and William Sgro in the second slot. Lesley took court three to trim Suffolk's lead to one heading into singles action.
In singles action, Suffolk won every court except No. 5 to easily lock up the win.
Rami Esrawi got things going as the senior downed Chica, 6-3, 6-1, in the third spot.
David Gruijic set up match point with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Ryan O'Leary in the sixth spot before Ben Bricker clinched the non-conference victory with a 6-3, 7-5 triumph over Flaherty in the fourth position.
From there, DeFelice picked up a golden match win over Urban at No. 1 and Altimonte closed out the scoring with a 7-6, 4-6, 10-6 victory against Sgro on court two.
- Suffolk won its third straight match against Lesley dating back to 2017.
- DeFelice picked up his first win and golden match of the season in first slot.
- Rami Esrawi and Altimonte teamed up for the first time as a doubles tandem and secured a golden match victory.
- Gruijic earned his first singles win of the year in the sixth slot over Flaherty.
- DeFelice and Parnagian partnered as a doubles pair for the first time and took home the W.
- Altimonte made his debut at No. 2 and earned his second singles win of the campaign.
1 – Mike DeFelice (Suffolk) defeated Beowulf Urban (Lesley) 6-0, 6-0
2 – Davis Altimonte(Suffolk) defeated William Sgro (Lesley) 7-6, 4-6, 10-6
3 – Rami Esrawi (Suffolk) defeated Gerry Chica (Lesley) 6-3, 6-1
4 – Ben Bricker(Suffolk) defeated Evan Flaherty (Lesley) 6-3, 7-5
5 – Patrick Corcoran (Lesley) defeated Hasan Esrawi (Suffolk) 6-2, 6-0
6 – David Gruijic (Suffolk) defeated Ryan O'Leary (Lesley) 6-3, 6-3
1 – Mike DeFelice/Chris Parnagian (Suffolk) defeated Beowulf Urban/WIllaim Sgro (Lesley) 8-1
2 – Rami Esrawi/Davis Altimonte (Suffolk) defeated Gerry Chica/Evan Flaherty (Lesley) 8-0
3 – Patrick Corcoran/Christian Fox (Lesley) defeated Charles Tang/Panagiotis Meltsakos (Suffolk) 8-5
ORDER OF FINISH: Singles (3,6,4,1,2,5), Doubles (2,1,3)
Suffolk hits the road for a conference clash with Regis tomorrow, April 17 at 4:30 p.m.