CLERMONT, Fla. – Suffolk softball hit early and often to build a four-run lead after the first frame and never looked back to defeat UMass Boston 10-1 in five innings Saturday afternoon at Hancock Field in The Spring Games.
SCORE: Suffolk 10 UMass Boston 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-1) | UMass Boston (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Rams got going with two outs in the first as Payton Sylvester drew a walk to keep the inning alive. The freshman sniped second during Jaclyn Flint's at bat, which resulted in another free bag. Delaney Sylvester recorded her first RBI of the season as she plated her sister behind a single to center and moved Flint over. Ashley Zulla's double scored Flint and Devlin Frost's deep single to center brought Delaney Sylvester. On the same hit, Zulla took advantage of a throw to come in and push Suffolk's advantage to four.
A scoreless second was followed by a two-run Suffolk third. This time, the blue-and-gold used a trio of consecutive doubles. Flint started the string of hits for two bags going, Delaney Sylvester followed suit to bring Flint home and Zulla rounded out the threesome with a double of her own to collect a RBI and push the Rams' advantage to 6-0.
UMass Boston got on the board with one run in the fourth, before Suffolk put the game away with a four-run fifth. All four runs were scored thanks to walks.
Leading 10-1, Payton Sylvester dealt a three-up, three-down inning to the Beacons to lock up the 10-1 triumph.
- In her collegiate debut inside the circle, Payton Sylvester picked up the win behind a one-run, three-hit, four-strikeout effort.
- UMass used a trio of arms. Megan Hoban suffered the setback as the starter allowed six runs on six hits in 3.0 frames.
- Drew Washington (1.1 IP, 4 R, 1 H, 5 BB) and Jess Greenspan (0.2 IP, 1 BB) came out of the bullpen for the Beacons.
- Zulla had a day at the dish with going 3-for-3 with two doubles and two RBI.
- Delaney Sylvester's 2-for-2 effort featured a double, two RBI and three runs.
- Flint (1-2, 3 R, 2 BB) and Frost (1-3, 1 RBI) rounded out the Rams with hits.
- Hailey Cockroft, Madison Eucalitto, Kelly Keane and Payton Sylvester all had one RBI apiece.
- Payton and Keane both completed the Rams' 10 run total with one run each.
- Payton Sylvester made her collegiate debut inside the circle.
- Boehler earned her first collegiate start in left field with Cockroft seeing the field for the first time in her collegiate career as well.
WHAT'S TO COME
Day two of Suffolk's edition of The Spring Games tournament is on deck tomorrow, Sunday, March 11 with a 10 a.m. tilt versus University of New England ahead of a 12 p.m. first pitch versus No. 7 Amherst.