EAST BOSTON – Payton Sylvester handled the circle and her, sister senior catcher Delaney Sylvester, brought in the winning-run in the sixth inning as the siblings anchored Suffolk softball to a 2-1 victory over Lesley in the Rmas' home opener Monday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE:Suffolk 2, Lesley 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-6) | Lesley (10-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lesley quickly put one run the board but was kept there as Payton Sylvester served back-to-back strikeouts to end the opening inning. The Rams made up the ground in the home half of the inning as they juiced the bags with Payton Sylvester starting things off with a single through the left side. The freshman made her way around on a passed ball and a base-on-balls during her sisters at bat, before she scored the tying-run on an over throw by the Lynx catcher.
A defensive battle ensued as both teams were held scoreless over the next three innings. Suffolk made a move in the bottom of the fifth as Delaney Sylvester sent a shot to the center field fence and Jaclyn Flint, who was on first thanks to a single, used her wheels to round the bases and score the go-ahead run.
Suffolk took care of business in the sixth and put one some highlight plays in the fielding including a throw by McKenzie McGrath from the dirt over to first and an outfield catch by Sydney Littlefieldthat robbed what would be a go-ahead homer to secure the non-conference triumph.
- Payton Sylvester served up a complete-game with just one-run allowed through 7.0 innings off six hits and two walks. The rookie twirler sat down seven hitters.
- Jordan Day went the distance for the Lynx. She suffered the setack after giving up two runs on four hits and six walks, while having six Ks.
- Delaney Sylvester's lone hit of the night was the most important as it brought in the winning run. The senior went 1-for-1 with a pair of walks.
- Payton Sylvester and Flint each 1-for-2 at the plate and scored one run apiece.
- Madison Eucalitto rounded out the Rams' with hits with one to her credit.
- Suffolk and Lesley renewed a rivalry and met for the first time since 2013.
- The Rams won their eighth-ever game versus the Lynx, improving to 8-1 all-time versus Lesley.
- Payton Sylvester threw a career-high seven strikeouts.
Suffolk wraps up the series versus the Lynx under the lights in Eastie at 6:30 p.m.