EAST BOSTON – Delaney Sylvester became just the second-ever Suffolk softball player to record 200 hits as the Rams ran past Rivier, 16-3, in the nightcap of a GNAC doubleheader Thursday night at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 16, Rivier 3
RECORD: Suffolk (16-6, 9-1 GNAC) | Rivier (8-18, 3-9 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk started early an often as they sent three balls over the fence. Led off hitter Payton Sylvester started the dingers with a solo shot and two batters later Devlin Frost matched Sylvester's spot with one of her own. After Jaclyn Flint singled up the middle, Delaney Sylvester barreled a bomb over the right field fence to seal her 200th hit and stretch Suffolk's lead to 4-0.
The Rams stretched their cushion even more in the home half of the third with three runs. Delaney Sylvester and McKenzie McGrath each singled up the middle before Keane double to the outfield for the second time on the night to bring in Delaney Sylvester. An erratic through let McKenzie score and Keane came in thanks to Madison Eucalitto's single up the middle, which turned the score to 8-1 Suffolk.
Rivier responded in the top of the fourth with a pair of runs to trim the margin to five, 8-3.
The comeback was no match for what Suffolk had in store in the bottom of the fourth as they truly put the game away with eight runs.
With Suffolk ahead by a hefty 16-3 margin, the Raiders had two bases thanks to walk and a hit-by-pitch, but their rally never came as Taylor Holmes secured the final out with her fourth strikeout of the night to seal the win.
- Holmes remained unbeaten this season as she improved to 6-0 on the season with a three-run, three-hit, one-walk, four-strikeout outing.
- Kellie Kennedy fell to 4-9 after allowing five runs on five hits, including three homers, in just 1.0 frame.
- Taylor Rowsell (2.0 IP, 3 R, 5 H 1, BB 1 K) and Kerri Hegarty (1.0 IP, 8 R, 8 H, 1 BB) each came in as relief for Rivier.
- Delaney Sylvester paved the way at the plate with a 4-for-4 effort for four RBI and two runs.
- Five different Rams had two hits to their credit including Payton Sylvester and Boehler who also brought in three runs apiece. The former score twice, while the latter added one run as well.
- Frost put together a 2-for-3 outing with one RBI and two runs.
- Cockroft notched a hit in both of her two plate appearances and scored once.
- Both of Keane's hits were good for two bases as the freshman scored a game-high three runs and brought one in.
- Suffolk won its 11th straight contest versus Rivier to improve to 31-22 all-time versus the Raiders.
- The Rams swept the Raiders for the fifth consecutive season.
- The Rams opened the GNAC 9-1 for the first time, marking the best conference start since going 12-1 in 2015.
- Suffolk scored the most runs versus Rivier (16) since defeating the Raiders, 18-1 in game two of a doubleheader April 16, 2005.
- With her second hit of the afternoon Delaney Sylvester recorded the 200th hit of her collegiate career becoming the second-ever Ram to accomplish the feat behind Hall of Famer Jess Ferreira, who hit the milestone in 2009.
- Delaney Sylvester sits second-all-time on the Rams' all-time's hit list with 203 hits to her credit.
- Delaney Sylvester recorded season-highs in hits (4) and RBI (4).
- Boehler matched a career-best three RBI.
- Cockroft had a personal-best two hits.
- Keane notched a career-high two doubles.
Suffolk takes a day off before returning to Eastie for a doubleheader against GNAC and Boston foe Emmanuel. The contest, which will serve as the Rams' Coaches vs. Cancer game, will begin at 12 p.m.