NEWTON, Mass. – The Suffolk softball opened GNAC doubleheader with a 5-1 victory over Mount Ida Saturday afternoon at the Mustangs Softball Field to secure it 12th 20-win season.
SCORE: Suffolk 5, Mount Ida 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (20-7, 13-2 GNAC) | Mount Ida (12-18, 6-7 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The scoring started in the first for the Rams. Payton Sylvester worked her way around the bases on a single, stolen base, a Mustangs error and a 43 ground out by Jaclyn Flint to give the blue-and-gold a 1-0 lead.
Two innings later, the teams each posted one run apiece. Suffolk scored thanks to a sac fly by Flint, that brought in Payton Sylvester, who reached on a miss play by Mount Ida's third baseman. The Mustangs run in the home half of the kept it a one-run game.
The score stood still until the sixth when Suffolk plated a pair to game a 4-1 advantage. Ashley Zulla led off the inning with a double down the left field line and moved over to third thanks to McKenzie McGrath's sac bunt. Madison Eucalitto brought in Zulla on a sac fly to right field for the first run of the frame. Grace Boehler matched Zulla's double with one of her own and crossed home thanks to Payton Sylvester's deep single to center to stretch the Rams' lead to three.
Suffolk added to its edge in the seventh. With two down, the Rams coupled doubles together to score its final run of the afternoon to turn it into a 7-1 Suffolk score.
Ali Yamakaitis handled the Mustangs, retiring the side, to lock up the victory.
- Yamakaitis recorded her sixth win of the season thanks to a one-run, two-hit, two-strikeout effort in the circle.
- Carrigan Costello tossed a complete-game for the Mustangs. The arm allowed five runs, three earned, on 10 hits and one walk with two Ks.
- Zulla's pair of doubles provided one RBI with the sophomore adding one run.
- Payton Sylvester brought in one run on two hits and scored twice herself while collecting one stolen base.
- Sydney Littlefield had a 2-for-4 outing at the plate.
- Jaclyn Flint(1-3) and Madison Eucalitto each had a sac fly to their credit. Flint tallied two RBI, while Eucalitto notched one RBI.
- The win gave Suffolk its 20th victory of the season, marking the Rams' 12th 20-win season overall and five consecutive campaign with 20 wins more. Under Jaclyn Davis, Suffolk has eclipsed 20 triumphs five times (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014).
- Suffolk won its 12th straight game against Mount Ida to take an 18-3 all-time lead over the Mustangs.
- The Rams remain unbeaten all-time versus Mount Ida in the Davis era.
- Yamakaitis threw her 35th career complete-game to move into sole possession of fifth place on the all-time list.
Suffolk wraps up the series at Mount Ida this afternoon.