BOSTON – Suffolk softball opened its New England action with a 5-4, game one victory over Roger William Sunday afternoon at Rotch Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 5 | Roger Williams 4
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-6) | Roger Williams (6-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk started early as Ashley Zulla barreled a bases loaded single to bring in a pair of runners and give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
The Hawks responded in the next half inning with three runs of their own to take the lead, but not for long as Suffolk matched those three runs with three of their own to gain a 5-3 advantage. The blue-and-gold rally started with a two-run double from Caitlin Murphy before Roger Williams made a change in the circle. A productive ground out from Grace Boehler moved Murphy to third to set up Jaclyn Flint's sac fly that made it a two-run game in Suffolk's favor.
Things stayed there until Roger Williams looked to make mores in the top the seventh. With pinch hitters in the line-up, the Hawks cut the deficit to one, but Constance Phelan kept the visitors there as the relief pitcher fanned back-to-back batters swinging to secure the 5-4 victory.
- Kenney Reyes improved to 3-2 in the circle behind a four-run, seven-hit, one-walk, one-strikeout effort in 6.1 innings.
- Phelan picked up her first save of the year with 0.2 innings of scoreless work, allowing one hit with two punchouts.
- Hailey Prechtel fell to 0-1 on the year after letting up five runs (four earned) on three walks and five hits.
- Alyssa Murray shoved 5.0 innings of scoreless work with two hits allowed and two strikeouts to her credit.
- Murphy went 3-for-3 at the plate with one double, two RBI and one run scored.
- Zulla registered two RBI on one hit.
- Flint provided one RBI courtesy of a sac fly to go with one run scored.
- Kelly Keane pitched in two hits.
- Brianna Loughlin recorded one hit and one run.
- Boehler and McKenzie McGrath each scored one walk and drew one walk.
- Suffolk met Roger Williams for the first time in the Jaclyn Davis era.
- The Rams remain unbeaten all-time against the Hawks, 4-0.
- Murphy matched a career-high three hits.
Suffolk wraps up the double feature with Roger Williams this afternoon.