BOSTON – Suffolk softball closed out a doubleheader with Roger Williams Sunday afternoon with a 4-2 victory over the Hawks behind a complete-game effort from Hannah DelCervo in the circle at Rotch Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 4 | Roger Williams 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-6) | Roger Williams (6-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
DelCervo brushed off a shaky start as the senior right-hander allowed three hits and both of the Hawks runs over the first two innings, which put Suffolk in a 2-0 hole, before gaining her composure and retiring 13 of the final 16 hitters to lock up the victory. DelCervo scattered five of her six strikeouts over the final 16 batters as well.
Suffolk's offense pulled the blue-and-gold out of the early two-run deficit in the home half of the second with three runs. Ashley Zulla started the scoring as she scooted home thanks to McKenzie McGrath's single to center field. An error by the Hawks' third baseman let the tying run coming in before Caitlin Murphy's sac fly plated the go-ahead run in Samantha Jacques.
As DelCervo threw fire to maintain the advantage, the Rams offense remained quiet until the bottom of the fifth. After Murphy got caught in a first and third situation Boehler's smart base running and a costly Roger Williams error allowed the sophomore left fielder stretch Suffolk's edge to two, 4-2.
The score stayed there as DelCervo's finesse on the rubber allowed just one base runner over the final two innings to preserve the win and sweep for Suffolk.
- DelCervo's put together a two-run (one-earned), four-hit, one-walk, six-strikeout day in the circle.
- Ellie Fleming slipped to 1-2 for Roger Williams after allowing three runs (one earned) on five hits and one walk with one strikeout.
- Lia Nocella came in to dish 2.0 frames of relief in which she gave up one run on two hits and one walk with one punchout.
- Boehler recorded two hits, one double, one run and one stolen base.
- Zulla tallied two hits and one run scored.
- McGrath provide one hit, one RBI and one run.
- Murphy notche done hit and one RBI.
- Jacques added one hit and one run scored.
- The Rams remain unbeaten all-time against the Hawks, 5-0.
- DelCervo pitched her first 7.0-inning complete-game effort.
- DelCervo sat down a personal-best six hitters.
Suffolk is set for a hectic week with two road trips preceding its home opener next weekend. The Rams will first return to action Tuesday, March 26 when they visit Brandeis for a doubleheader. First pitch of game one is set for 3 p.m.