WALTHAM, Mass. – Brandeis proved to be too much for Suffolk softball as the Rams dropped a 13-1 decision to the Judges in five innings in game one of the two-game series Tuesday afternoon at Marcus Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 1 | Brandeis 13
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-7) |Brandeis (9-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Brandeis went through its lineup twice over the first two innings to build a hefty 7-1 lead off seven hits and two Suffolk errors.
The Rams lone run of the day was scored by Brooke Cloak, who reached on a lead-off walk in the second inning, moved into scoring position on a productive ground out from Kelly Keane and came in thanks to a base hit to centerfield by McKenzie McGrath.
The Judges did not take their foot off the gas pedal over the next two times at the plate as they scattered seven hits over the third and fourth to extend their advantage to 13-1, a distance too great for Suffolk to make up.
- Constance Phelan moved to 2-2 on the season in the circle after giving up seven earned runs on 10 hits and two walks with one strikeout over 2.0 innings.
- Alexis Bonilla allowed four runs on four hits and two walks with one punchout in 2.0 frames of relief.
- Scottie Todd picked up the victory behind a one-run, two-hit, one-walk, six-strikeout, 5.0-inning performance.
- Cloak and McGrath were responsible for Suffolk's two hits with the freshman and senior each recording one apiece.
- McGrath recorded one RBI, while Cloak scored the lone run on the day.
- Suffolk and Brandeis renewed a rivalry, meeting for the first time since 2015.
Suffolk concludes the twinbill with the Judges tonight.