WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Suffolk softball slipped to Saint Joseph (Conn.), 4-2, in the opening of a two-game GNAC series Sunday afternoon at USJ Softball Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 2 | St. Joseph (Conn.) 4
RECORDS: Suffolk (12-11, 2-1 GNAC) | St. Joseph (Conn.) (17-12, 6-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both sides were retired in order in the first frame before Suffolk broke open the scoring in the second stanza. Brooke Cloak reached on a fielder's choice before McKenzie McGrath barreled a two-out double to score the runner and give the Rams' a 1-0 edge.
An inning later, the Blue Jays batters go going and used three hits and two costly Suffolk errors to flip the script in their favor, 4-1.
Suffolk stranded a pair of base runners in the fourth and another in the fifth as the three-run game remained after fie complete innings.
The Rams began to mount their comeback in the sixth on a sac fly from McGrath. The senior third baseman scored Kelly Keane, who reached on a fielder's choice and advanced to third thanks to Cloak's double to left. The sac fly sliced the distance in half.
USJ limited the Rams to just the lone run in the sixth and took care of business in the seventh to pick up the 4-2 conference triumph.
- Kennedy Reyes put together a complete-game effort in which she gave up four runs on four hits.
- Amaria Sharon's two-run, eight-hit, one-walk, two-strikeout effort was good for the win for the Blue Jays.
- Jaclyn Flint (2-3), Cloak (2-3) and Grace Boehler (2-4) all had multi-hit days for Suffolk.
- Cloak registered one double and scored one run.
- McGrath provided one hit, a double, and two RBI.
- Hailey Cockroft rounded out the Rams' with hits with one to her credit.
- McGrath matched a career-high two RBI.
Suffolk and Saint Joseph wrap up the double feature this afternoon.