NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Suffolk softball fell behind early and never came back as Albertus Magnus cruised to an 8-1 victory over the Rams in the opener of a two-game GNAC series Tuesday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex.
SCORE: Suffolk 1 | Albertus Magnus 8
RECORDS: Suffolk (16-14, 6-3 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (14-15, 3-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus' second stanza one-run lead tripled in the third and blossomed to 7-0 in the fifth.
The Rams remained scoreless and without a hit until the home half of the fifth when McKenzie McGrath erased the no-hitter with a double. Suffolk was unable to capitalize on the pair of base runners, however, as the Falcons secured back-to-back outs to keep the blue-and-gold off the board.
An inning later Suffolk punched through the scoring and eliminated the shutout. Caitlin Murphy led off with a single, swiped second and came in on Grace Boehler's single up the middle. Albertus Magnus kept the damage there to maintain the six-run, 7-1 cushion.
A two-out, one-run double for Albertus Magnus in the top of the seventh put seven runs, 8-1, back between the GNAC foes.
Despite a Falcons error that allowed a Rams' base runner in the bottom of the seventh, Laura Anderson took care of business in the circle to hold off a blue-and-gold comeback and secure the win for Albertus Magnus.
- Hannah DelCervo suffered the setback for Suffolk after giving up three runs on five hits and three walks over 2.2 innings of work.
- Constance Phelan worked the final 4.1 frames in which she allowed five runs (four earned) on four hits and six walks with one strikeout.
- Anderson picked up the decision behind a complete-game effort. The Falcons' starter put together a one-run, three-hit, two-walk, three-strikeout performance.
- Boehler went 1-for-2 at the plate and brought in the Rams' only run.
- Murphy had one hit, one stolen base and scored one run.
- McGrath's only hit of the day was good for two bags.
Suffolk concludes the doubleheader with Albertus Magnus tonight.