PAXTON, Mass. – Suffolk softball scored multiple runs in every inning to defeat Anna Maria, 11-0, in five innings Thursday afternoon at AMCAT Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 11 | Anna Maria 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (18-14, 8-3 GNAC) | Anna Maria (3-19, 0-11 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk started the scoring on a two-out rally in the top of the first. After Ashley Zulla kept the inning alive with a base hit to right field, Jaclyn Flint's double to right brought the first run of the day in.Kelly Keane then scored Flint to give the blue-and-gold a 2-0 edge.
Constance Phelan retired the side in the second and Suffolk tacked a pair of runs in the home half of the inning to double its lead. With one out and runners on second and third, Grace Boehler's single scored the pair.
The Rams tripled their cushion in the third. With the bags juiced,Hailey Cockroft, who tripled an inning prior, knocked a two-run single to stretch the advantage to 6-0 in the blue-and-gold's favor
Suffolk put the game away in the fourth and once again the runs came with two down. Zulla wore a pitch, and moved around on a pair of wild pitches to set up Keane's one-run double. Two batters later McKenzie McGrath's scored Keane and a handful of AMCATs errors allowed three Rams runners to score to push the margin to 11-0.
Phelan fanned the side, the first and last swinging, to lock up the run-rule for Suffolk.
- Phelan put together a three-hit, one-walk, seven-strikeout effort over 5.0 innings.
- Victoria Falcon dipped to 2-10 after giving up 11 runs, eight earned, on 11 hits and two walks with four punchouts in 4.0 frames.
- Keane anchored Suffolk's 11-hit effort with the sophomore first baseman going 3-for-3 at the plate with one double for two RBI and one run scored.
- Cockroft went 2-for-2 with one triple for two RBI and one run scored.
- McGrath tallied a 2-for-3 effort with two runs and one RBI.
- Boehler brought in a pair of runs with one hit.
- Zulla scored twice and had one hit.
- Flint recorded one hit, one RBI, and one run.
- Suffolk remains unbeaten all-time versus Anna Maria, improving to 15-0 versus the AMCATs.
- The Rams run-ruled the AMCATs for the fifth consecutive contest.
- Phelan sat down a career-high seven batters.
- Phelan threw her first-ever complete-game in shutout fashion.
- The Rams have recorded their third shutout of the season.
- Cockroft has connected for a triple in back-to-back games.
Suffolk and Anna Maria will wrap up the two-game series tonight.