CHESTNUT HILL, MASS. – Kelsey Schiebel had a career day, pouring in 29 points to lead the Suffolk women's basketball team to a 77-62 victory over Pine Manor at Brunelli Court Thursday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 77, Pine Manor 62
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-5) | Pine Manor (4-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk quickly climbed out of a 5-0 it started things and ended the first frame ahead, 14-11. At the midway point of the second stanza, Georgia Bourikas jump started an 11-0 Rams' run with a lay-up that gave the visitors a 13-point cushion, 38-25, with two minutes to play before intermission.
The Gators cut the deficit back to single digits with six seconds on the clock to send Suffolk into the locker room ahead, 38-30.
Out of the locker rooms the Rams rolled out on a 10-0 stretch to take an 18-point advantage halfway through the third quarter. The hosts put together six unanswered points to trim the margin back to 12 and Ed Leyden called a timeout to talk things over.
Schiebel broke up Pine Manor's spurt out of the break with her 19th-points on the afternoon and the Rams kept the Gators at the distance for the remainder of the third to hold a 60-42 edge after 30 minutes.
Pine Manor won the final frame, outscoring Suffolk, 20-17, but the damage had already been done and the Rams held on for the 77-62 victory.
- Schiebel's career-best came on a 9-for-19 performance from the floor including a 50 percent (5-10) connection rate from behind the arc. The senior guard went a perfect 6-for-6 at the line and added five handouts, four steals and three rebounds to her stat line.
- Bourikas's 15 points were good for second the squad with the senior going 6-for-15 from the field. She added six boards on the glass, two assists and two steals.
- Katelyn Rourke checked off a career first with the freshman recording her first double-double effort on 12 points and 12 rebounds, including nine on the defensive end. The forward shot 4-for-7 from the field, 4-for-6 at the line and had a hand in two other shots.
- Collectively, Suffolk shot 43.3 percent (29-67) from the field, 30-4 percent (7-23) from three-point land and 75.0 percent (12-16) on freebies.
- The Rams held a commanding lead on the glass outrebounding the Gators, 55-29, and limited Pine Manor to just nine second chances.
- Suffolk won its 17th straight against Pine Manor and improved to 19-8 all-time against the Gators.
- Rourke is the second Ram to record a double-double this season with Caitlyn Caramello owning three to her credit.
Suffolk remains on the road as it travels to West Haven, Connecticut, Saturday, Jan. 7 for a 1 p.m. GNAC showdown at St. Joseph (Conn.).