BOSTON – UMass Boston snapped the Suffolk women's volleyball team's winning streak as the Beacons shutout the Rams, 3-0, in the blue-and-gold's finale of the Smith College Invitational at Ainsworth Gymnasium Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, UMass Boston 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-1) | UMass Boston (6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a battle of a first frame that fell in the Beacons favor, 25-19, UMass Boston easily handled the Rams in the two ensuing sets, 25-12, for the 3-0 win.
Suffolk received three kills each from Bridget Allison, Talia Lombardo and Chidera Nwankwo. Allison's 10 digs led the defense with Lombardo adding six. Liz Kerek produced six assists and two digs for the Rams.
SET ONE RECAP (25-19 UMASS BOSTON)
- UMass Boston jumped out to a 5-0 lead.
- Suffolk pulled within one, 6-5.
- After seven unanswered points, the Beacons advantage stretched to 17-8.
- The Rams did not let up, however, and made it a four-point set 21-17.
- UMass scored four of the final six points to close the set, 25-19.
SET TWO RECAP (25-12 UMASS BOSTON)
- The Beacons quickly built an 11-2 advantage.
- Boston's lead grew to 19-8.
- From there, Suffolk outscored UMass, 5-4, but the damage was already done.
SET THREE RECAP (25-12 UMASS BOSTON)
- Six unanswered points to up the frame gave the Beacons a 6-0 cushion that quickly turned into a 16-3 advantage.
- Suffolk attempted a comeback, coming within 10, 18-8, but UMass closed out the set and match, 25-12.
Suffolk opens a fivematch homestand Tuesday, Sept. 12 when the Rams entertain Johnson & Wales in their GNAC opener. First serve is slated for 7 p.m.