LEICESTER, Mass. – The Suffolk women's volleyball team and Becker went toe-to-toe Tuesday night, but it was the Rams that prevailed, knocking off the Hawks in five sets, 3-2, at Leicester Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Becker 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-6) | Becker (7-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk claimed the first sets pretty easily, by scores of 25-16 and 25-18. Becker did not go down without a fight, however, as the Hawks forced a fourth and fifth frame, respectively, by set scores of 25-15 and 25-18. The Rams jumped ahead early in the final set and held of the Hawks to take the set, 15-11, and the match 3-2.
Seven different Rams combined for 45 kills with Bridget Allison leading the way. The sophomore notched a match-high 13 on a .321 hitting clip to go with five digs and two blocks. Talia Lombardo contributed all over the court as the sophomore was just three kills shy of a triple double with seven kills, 25 assists and 16 digs. Chidera Nwankwo and Jane Buckley added eight and seven kills, respectively. Jessica Rexrode chipped in 16 digs on the defensive side of the net.
SET ONE RECAP (25-16 SUFFOLK)
- The set locked up at 8-all for the third time on a Nwankwo kill.
- Suffolk used a 7-1 run to gain a 16-10 edge.
- The Rams advantage blossomed to a 21-15 edge.
- The blue-and-gold outscored Becker, 4-1 down the stretch to seal the first set, 25-16.
SET TWO (25-18 SUFFOLK)
- The second stanza remained a one-point set in Suffolk's favor at the mid-way point, 10-9.
- The team's traded points, before the Rams rattled off a 9-1 stretch to gain a 21-12 lead.
- After a Becker timeout, Suffolk put together back-to-back points and went ahead by 11, 23-12.
- The Hawks attempted a comeback and pulled within six, 23-17.
- Suffolk coupled points around one from Becker to take the set, 25-18.
SET THREE (25-15 BECKER)
- Becker jumped ahead 7-1.
- The Hawks advantage remained half-way through the set, 15-8.
- The hosts went on to outscore the Rams, 10-7, to force a fourth frame.
SET FOUR (25-18 Becker)
- Becker scored the first four points of the set, but Suffolk responded with five of its own to gain a slim 5-4 edge.
- Another 4-0 spurt by the Hawks put the hosts back in front, 8-5.
- Suffolk played from behind and remained within striking distance at the midway point, 13-11.
- A 4-1 run kept the Rams at an arms length away, 17-12.
- The Rams were only able to put one more point on the board as the Hawks claimed the set 25-18 and evened the playing field.
SET 5 (15-11 SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk scored the first three points of the final frame.
- The Rams went ahead 5-2 on a kill from Buckley.
- Becker pulled within one, 5-4.
- Suffolk maintained a three-point lead, 9-6,.
- The blue-and-gold held off Becker down the stretch and claimed the set, 15-11, on a kill from Emma Feeney, for the 3-2 match victory.
- Suffolk won its five set-match match of the season.
- Lombardo notched her second double-double of the season and fifth of her career.
- The Rams 45 kills are the most since tallying 49 in a 3-1 win over Pine Manor Oct. 13, 2015.
- Suffolk captured its sixth-straight win over Becker.
Suffolk takes no time off as the Rams step back into GNAC play tomorrow night at Regan Gymnasium when Mount Ida stops by for a 7 p.m. match.