BOSTON – The Suffolk women's volleyball team fell in straight sets in non-conference action to Colby Sawyer Friday night inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Colby Sawyer 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (9-11) | Colby Sawyer (9-19)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a contested first set, which Colby Sawyer claimed, 25-20, the Chargers cruised past the Rams in the ensuing two sets by scores of 25-14, and 25-5, respectively, to seal up the sweep.
Chidera Nwankwo led the Rams' 20 kill charge with seven on a .667 hitting clip, a season-best. Bridget Allison added five to the offensive effort, but truly shined at the net for Suffolk with six blocks.
SET ONE RECAP (25-20, COLBY SAWYER)
- Suffolk led early, 7-4.
- The Charges came back and tied it at 7-7.
- The score went into see-saw acting tie twice, before the visitors leaped ahead.
- With Colby Sawyer leading 17-13 the Rams called a timeout to talk things over.
- Out of the break a kill by Nwanko and a block by Liz Kerek and Allison kept things close.
- Down the stretch the chargers held off the Rams and took the set, 25-20.
SET TWO RECAP (25-14, COLBY SAWYER)
- Colby Sawyer rattled off the first six points of the set.
- Three kills by Nwanko and one from Talia Lombardo brought Suffolk within three, 11-8.
- The Chargers outscored the Rams, 14-6, the rest of the way to go ahead, 2-0, in the match with a 25-14 second stanza decision.
SET THREE RECAP (25-5, COLBY SAWYER)
- Suffolk found itself in an 8-1 hole to open the third frame.
- Out of Suffolk break the Chargers went on a 7-0 run to go ahead, 15-1.
- The deficit was too great and the visitors locked the match by taking set three, 25-5.
Suffolk heads out on the road tomorrow for a GNAC tri-match at Norwich. The Rams will first take on Lasell at 2 p.m., before facing the hosts Cadets at 4 p.m.