NORTHFIELD, Vt. – The Suffolk volleyball team snapped its five-match skid with a sweep of GNAC tri-match host Norwich Saturday afternoon at the Andrew Hall.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Norwich 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (10-13, 3-5 GNAC) | Norwich (5-4, 1-8 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk took a tight first frame, 25-20, rolled past the Cadets in the second stanza, 25-14, and sealed the cleansheet with a 25-19 third set victory.
Chidera Nwankwo paced Suffolk with 10 kills, while Jessica Rexrode pitched in a career-high eight kills to go along with nine digs. Liz Kerek notched her first double-double of the season with 15 assists and 13 digs, while Bridget Allison had an all around match with 14 digs, eight kills, three blocks, two assists and one ace.
SET ONE RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk jumped ahead early, 5-2.
- The Rams' led blossomed to 12-8.
- Norwich came back to lock the score at 14-14.
- A 7-2 stretch by Suffolk put the visitors back in front, 21-6.
- Each team scored four more points down the stretch, with the Rams lead holding true to give the blue and gold the set, 25-20.
SET TWO RECAP (25-14, SUFFOLK)
- The Rams grabbed a 9-3 lead to open the stanza.
- Suffolk poured on the points to go ahead, 19-12.
- Down the stretch, the Rams outscored the Cadets, 6-2, to take the set, 25-14.
SET THREE RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk opened the frame with an 8-2 run.
- Norwich put together three straight points, before five unanswered points by the Rams that made the score 13-6 in favor of the visitors.
- Each team coupled points throughout the remainder of the set with the Rams not letting Norwich closer than two, to hold on for the 25-19 victory.
- Suffolk recorded its fifth cleansheet of the season, the most since matching that number in 2014.
- The win marks Suffolk's 10th of the year, giving Suffolk the most victories since 16 in 2013.
Suffolk concludes non-conference action at UMass Dartmouth Thursday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m.