NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Suffolk volleyball team put together its second straight sweep as the Rams blanked Anna Maria inside the AMC Athletic Center Saturday afternoon. Suffolk secured the cleansheet by set scores, 25-9, 25-11 and 25-8.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Anna Maria 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (7-6, 2-2 GNAC) | Anna Maria (3-11, 0-5 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk easily handled the AMCATS in the opening frame, taking the set 25-9 and rolled from there with a 25-11 second stanza win and a 25-8 third set final to take the sweep.
SET ONE RECAP (25-9, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk took a 6-1 lead on a Hannah Fabiano ace.
- Anna Maria rattled off a 4-1 run to trim the deficit to 7-5.
- The Rams put together 11 answered points to gain a 21-6 advantage.
- Out of an AMCATS timeout, the visitors broke up the run, but the Rams put away the set thanks to a block from Chidera Nwankwo.
SET TWO RECAP (25-11, SUFFOLK)
- The Rams raced out to an 8-3 lead, which blossomed into a 16-8 advantage.
- Suffolk outscored Anna Maria, 9-3, down the stretch to take the frame, 25-11.
SET THREE RECAP (25-8, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk took a 10-4 edge at the midway point.
- The Rams put together a 15-0 run to go ahead 24-6.
- Anna Maria coupled back-to-bac points, but could not make up more ground.
- Suffolk sealed the set and frame with a kill from Bridget Allison.
- Suffolk held a monstrous advantage in kills, 31-14.
- Fabiano led the attack with nine kills with Talia Lombardo and Allison contributing six kills each.
- Nwankwo added five kills to the effort.
- Liz Kerek set up Suffolk's offense with 26 assists to go along with five digs and three kills.
- Emma Feeney was superb at the service line with seven aces.
- Suffolk secured its first win over Anna Maria in the Bonny Ducharme era and since 2013.
- Every match in the Rams, AMCATS series has been decided in straight sets.
- The blue and gold took a 4-3 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to 2011.
- Suffolk won its second straight sweep, marking the first time the Rams recorded back-to-back sweeps under Ducharme and since coupling two consecutive sweeps. Sept. 6-9, 2014.
- The three cleansheets are the most for the Rams in a single season since putting up four last year.
- Feeney's seven aces are a career best for the junior.
Suffolk closes tri-match action this afternoon against the hosts Albertus Magnus.