BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team took set one, but could not hold off Colby Sawyer who strung three set victories together to take a 3-1 decision over the Rams Saturday afternoon at Regan Gymnasium. The GNAC contest was determined by set scores, 22-25, 25-21, 25-16 and 25-16.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Colby Sawyer 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-9, 1-3 GNAC) | Colby Sawyer (10-7, 3-2 GNAC)
SET ONE RECAP (25-22, SUFFOLK)
- Colby Sawyer broke a 10-all time and flipped the switch in its favor, 15-10.
- Hannah Fabiano sparked a 7-2 stretch that equalized things at 17-17.
- Out of a Chargers timeout, Bridget Allison gave the Rams a 18-17 edge that turned into a 23-19 advantage.
- The visitors used their second timeout of the set and rallied around it to cut the deficit to one, 23-22.
- Scott Blanchard talked things over with his team, who locked up the first frame with back-to-back points.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21, COLBY SAWYER)
- Things remained even at the midway point as 14 was present on both sides of the scoreboard.
- The Chargers gained the first two-point advantage 16-14, but it was shortlived as Suffolk knotted things once again at 17-17.
- Three consecutive points put the Chargers ahead 20-17 and that proved to be enough as the teams traded points the remainder of the way for the 25-21 margin.
SET THREE RECAP (25-16, COLBY SAWYER)
- Colby Sawyer turned a 10-5 advantage into a 16-8 cushion.
- The eight-point hole blossomed into double figures 21-11 and it was too much ground for the blue-and-gold to make up.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-16, COLBY SAWYER)
- The Chargers opened the outing with the five first points to take a 12-5 advantage.
- Suffolk attempted a comeback and pulled within six, 21-15, but Colby Sawyer kept them there, outscoring the hosts 4-1 to clinch the victory.
- Fabiano's 10-kill effort paced Suffolk's 36-kill attack.
- Kayla Barbera contributed on both sides of the ball with seven kills and 18 digs.
- Dakhensey Marcellus and Emma Feeney anchored the Rams' defensive unit with 21 digs and 14 digs, respectively.
- Allison pitched in eight kills and six digs.
- Meg Kerekhanded out 21 assists to go along with eight digs.
- Suffolk and Colby Sawyer played four sets for the first time in the all-time series.
- Barbera had a career-high 18 digs.
- Kerek dished out a personal-best 21 assists.
Suffolk wraps up its tri-match this afternoon at 3 p.m. versus Mass. Maritime.