BOSTON – The Suffolk volleyball team suffered a straight set defeat to cross city rival Wentworth Tuesday night inside Regan Gymnasium. The setback came by set scores 25-18, 25-14 and 25-10.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Wentworth 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (3-10) | Wentworth (14-2)
SET ONE RECAP (25-18, WENTWORTH)
- Suffolk grabbed an early 3-1 edge before Wentworth evened the score at 5-all.
- The Rams remained in front by a few points before the Leopards knotted things once again at 9-all.
- From an 11-all tie, the visitors outscored the hosts, 8-1, to jump ahead, 18-12.
- Suffolk coupled points here and there, but never made a run as Wentworth sealed the set, 25-18.
SET TWO RECAP (25-14, WENTWORTH)
- A back-and-forth affair was present early with a pair of ties and lead exchanges.
- Wentworth went up 6-5 and never looked back, taking an 11-9 edge that turned into a 16-10 cushion that forced a Suffolk timeout.
- The break would not be enough to stop the Leopards, who remained on cruise control and took with five consecutive points.
SET THREE RECAP (25-10, WENTWORTH)
- Wentworth's 8-1 lead bloomed into a 14-4 advantage.
- Suffolk never pulled within nine, 17-8, but that's as close as it would get as Wentworth rolled on to a 25-10 set and match win.
- Bridget Allison led Suffolk's attack with five kills to go along with six digs one assist and one ace.
- Meg Kerek set up the offense with 12 assists and added three kills as well as six digs on the defensive side of the ball.
- Dakhensey Marcellus held down the defensive unit with 13 digs.
Suffolk ventures to Framingham State Thursday, Oct. 4 for a non-conference clash.