WENHAM, Mass. – The Suffolk volleyball team saw its three-match win streak come to an end Monday as the Rams fell in three sets to Gordon at the Bennett Center. The setback came via set scores 25-16, 25-21 and 25-18.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Gordon 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (7-13) | Gordon (13-11)
SET ONE RECAP (25-16, GORDON)
- Suffolk jumped out of the gates to gain an early 3-1 edge, but it was shortlived as Gordon flipped the switch in its favor, 8-5, behind a 7-2 spurt.
- The Rams climbed back in front 11-9 with four unanswered points.
- The Fighting Scots responded in convincing fashion, rattling off 11 consecutive points to take a 10-point cushion, 22-12.
- The distance was too much ground for the Rams to make up as the hosts took the frame, 25-16.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21, GORDON)
- Suffolk took an 8-3 advantage early on.
- Gordon climbed back within reach and took the lead, 12-11, on an attack error by Kayla Barbera.
- The Fighting Scots never looked back as they built a 19-15 advantage thanks to a 6-2 spurt.
- Down the stretch, the Fighting Scots outscored Suffolk 5-2 for the 25-21 margin.
SET THREE RECAP (25-18, GORDON)
- A tightly contested set ensued throughout the majority of the third frame.
- Out of a 12-all tie Gordon went ahead 18-14 and put on cruise control from there, closing out the set on 6-2 run to seal the non-conference victory.
- Suffolk saw a well-balanced offense with Bridget Allison (8 kills), Hannah Fabiano (7 kills) and Barbera (6 kils) all contributing.
- Talia Lombardo chipped in on each side of the ball with 25 assists and three aces to go with five digs.
- Dakhensey Marcellus pitched in 19 digs to lead the defensive unit, which received eight digs from Barbera as well.
Suffolk is sent to Simmons Wednesday, Oct. 17 for a 7 p.m. conference clash.