NEWTON, Mass. – The Suffolk volleyball team rewrote history twice Tuesday night as the Rams defeated Lasell in the GNAC Quarterfinals with both the win over Lasell and in the league quarterfinals a first in program history. The victory came in straight sets by scores 25-20, 25-21 and 26-24.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Lasell 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (12-16) | Lasell (13-19)
SET ONE RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk climbed out of a small hole early and flipped a 7-all set into a 10-7 lead.
- A solo block for Sarah Mullahy started a 4-1 Rams' to that put the visitors in front, 15-11, and forced the Lasers to use a timeout.
- The break did not slow down Suffolk who took a 17-13 cushion on Chidera Nwankwo's third kill of the evening and held onto a 20-16 cushion behind the senior's fourth.
- Lasell attempted a late comeback with a 3-1 spurt to cut the blue-and-gold's edge to three, 23-20.
- Suffolk put the frame away 25-20 with a Kayla Barberakill followed up by a Bridget Allison block.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk broke out in front 4-1 to get the second stanza started.
- The back-and-forth affair ensued as 10 ties and three exchanges occurred.
- Mullahy broke up a 16-all tie and the Rams took the lead behind a Lasers misplay.
- From there, the score locked twice more before Suffolk remained in front 22-20.
- Lasell called a timeout to talk things over and once and break up the Rams' run.
- Out of the break Suffolk quickly built set point with an ace from Talia Lombardo and a kill from Mullahy.
- The Lasers used a service error by the Rams to hold off set point, but a bad set by Kelly Cappitella on the next play allowed Suffolk to lock up the set, 25-21.
SET THREE (26-24, SUFFOLK)
- Lasell forced Suffolk to play catchup for the majority of the third frame.
- An ace from Emma Feeney leveled the playing field at 11-all and the Rams took the lead on the next play, but it was shortlived as the Lasers put the visitors in a 16-13 hole.
- Nwankwo combined a couple kills to chip the deficit to one before Olivia Addington's attack error locked the score at 16.
- A Lasell timeout kept the Rams from gaining the advantage and put the visitors in a 22-17 hole.
- Once again Nwankwo kept the Rams alive with her 13thkill of the night and the senior sparked Suffolk's comeback as it pulled within on, 24-23.
- The Lasers tried using their second timeout of the set to slow down Suffolk, but this time it didn't work as the Rams rolled out of the break with three straight points to seal the set, 26-24, and match.
- Nwankwo had a night on the attack with 14 kills and an impressive .636 hitting percentage with a pair of blocks.
- Fabiano provide eight kills with Allison and Lombardo each providing four kills.
- Lombardo set up the offense with 30 assists to go with six digs and two aces.
- Dakhensey Marcellus and Barbera each held down the defensive unit with 14 digs and 12 digs, respectively.
- Suffolk advances to the GNAC semifinals for the first time in program history, winning its first league tournament game for the first time in 13 appearances.
- The Rams defeated the Lasers for the first-time in program history.
- Nwankwo notched a season-best 14 kills.
WHAT'S TO COME?
Suffolk's season continues as the Rams prepare for the GNAC semifinals, which sends the blue-and-gold to national and conference powerhouse Johnson & Wales Thursday, Nov. 1.