EYES ON THE MATCH
EYES ON THE MATCH
BOSTON – Suffolk volleyball turns its attention to conference competition this weekend as it venters to New Haven, Connecticut for a tri-match at Albertus Magnus featuring Lasell. The Rams serve off against the Lasers at 1 p.m., before taking on the Falcons at 3 p.m.
LET'S TALK ABOUT #RAMNATION
RamNation has a chance to keep up with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics, its student-athletes and teams by following the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
LAST TIME OUT
For the first time since 2013, Suffolk volleyball downed Lesley and did so in sweeping fashion Thursday night as the Rams bested the Lynx, 25-11, 25-20 and 25-16 at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court.
MORE READING: Volleyball Sweeps Lesley
Suffolk has traded wins with losses this season to head into Saturday's showdown 4-3 on the year.
The Rams' 10.39 kills per set offense has been well balanced and is anchored by upperclassmen in Hannah Fabiano (2.70 kps), Sarah Mullahy (2.30 kps) and Kayla Barbera (2.17). Harmony Johnson has taken on the Suffokl's setting role, dishing out 7.65 apg with Kenzley Bell, the Rams' defensive guro with a team-best 4.30 dps, pitching in 2.22 aps.
Barbera and Dakhensey Marcellus add 2.91 dps and 2.88 dps, respectively, while Mullahy's 0.43 bps leads the way at the net.
Lasell enters Saturday on a two-match skid, falling to Wentworth, 3-0, and Worcester State, 3-2, in its midweek matches to bring a 2-6 overall mark into the weekend.
Kiana Perez Diaz has been an all-around performer for the Lasers. The sophomore outsider boasts team-leading numbers in kills and digs per set with 3.00 and 3.59, respectively. Perez Dias is also a major threat from the service line with 30 percent of Lasell's 69 aces, serving 0.78 aces per set. Meg Roberts adds to both sides of the net as well with 1.75 kps and 2.14 dps. Jess Langan's 6.13 aps are relied on in the setting role.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Suffolk snapped a 12-match skid versus the Lasers in the 2018 GNAC Quarterfinals with a sweep over Lasel, the program's first-ever post-season triumph.
- Since 2007, the Rams are 1-12 against Lasell.
- Suffolk handled the early goings of the series, which dates back to 1996, with six victories from 1996 through '99 and one in 2002 and 2003, respectively. (Results from 2000 and 2001 are incomplete, making the complete all-time series history between the Rams and Lasers unknown.
- Adding up the known results, Suffolk trails the all-time series, 9-12.
- Suffolk is 1-1 against Lasell under Scott Blanchard's guidance with both results coming in straight sets.
Overall, 14 of the 21 meetings have been decided in a sweep. Suffolk is 4-10 in such outings.
- Six contests need four sets. The Rams have claimed 66 percent (4-6) of those contests.
- Suffolk and Lasell went the distance just once, in 1999, with the Rams prevailing.
- The Rams and Lasers have met on neutral hardwood three times. Lasell took all neutral contests in the series.
- The last time Suffolk and Lasell tangled on a third-party playing field was 2016 in Northfield, Vermont.
After started the season 0-3 in August, Albertus Magnus has been on a roll as of late, not dropping one of its four September contests to hold a 4-3 record.
Diana Kalman leads the way offensively with 1.88 kps and 0.83 aces per set. Ashley Davis (1.56 kps) and Peyton Davis (1.33 kps) are also consistent contributors on the attack for the Falcons, which is primarily set up by sophomore Jaiden Williams' 5.33 assists per set.
Jesselle Guzman is the go to on the reception for Albertus with 4.96 dps to her credit. The senior libero receives help on the defensive end from Williams (2.38 dps) and Davis (2.21 dps).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Suffolk holds a commanding 19-3 lead in the all-time series with Albertus Magnus, dating back to 1996, these results, however, are missing the 2000 and 2001 season, respectively.
- The Rams are on a seven-match win streak versus the Falcons. That stretch including four sweeps, one four-set victory and a five-set thriller.
- When playing at Albertus, Suffolk is 6-1.
- The Rams and Falcons have faced off in 11 straight set outings with Suffolk owning 90 percent (10-11) of them.
- In four set matches, the blue-and-gold is 8-2.
- Suffolk and Albertus have gone to five sets just once, in 2017, and the Rams held on for the win.
- Since 2003, Suffolk is 6-10 in its first GNAC contest of the year.
- Suffolk has only played in a five-set match in its first league outing of the year and won it over Saint Joseph's (Maine) in 2014.
- The Rams and Lasell will meet for the first time in Suffolk's conference debut since 2003.
- Suffolk will play on a neutral hardwood in its first conference contest of the season for the season straight season and eighth time overall. In such outings, the Rams sport a 4-3 record.
- Suffolk looks to open its conference campaign in the win column for the second straight season after defeating Albertus Magnus 3-1 to lift the lid on league action a year ago.
- The blue-and-gold has played in straight set match in its first league contest of the year 11 times and boasts a 3-8.
- In four set matches in the first conference contest of the year, Suffolk sports a 2-2 ledger.
- Suffolk has played in five-set match on day one of the conference calendar just once, versus Saint Joseph's (Maine) in 2014 and the Rams won.
Suffolk opens a four-match homestand Tuesday, Sept. 17 when it welcomes Gordon to the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court. First serve between the Rams and Fighting Scots is set for 7 p.m.