NEW HAVEN, Conn. – For the second time in as many matches, Suffolk volleyball rallied and captured a 3-2 GNAC victory, this time taking down Albertus Magnus in five-set fashion Saturday afternoon at the Cosgrove Messier Athletic Center. The league triumph came via set scores of 20-25, 25-20, 18-25, 25-19 and 15-6.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-3, 2-0 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (4-5, 0-2 GNAC)
SET ONE RECAP (25-20, ALBERTUS MAGNUS)
- A 12-12 score held as the set neared the midway point.
- Albertus Magnus roped together four consecutive points to gain a 17-15 edge.
- The Rams rally did not come and the Falcons took advantage to claim a 21-18 lead.
- Back-to-back kills from Rams' rookies Emerson Martin and Kenzley Bell cut the margin to one, 21-20.
- The Falcons kept Suffolk's comeback at bay behind a 4-0 run that ended the set in their favor, 25-20.
SET TWO RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk broke open a 6-all tie with a 6-2 stretch to gain an 11-8 edge.
- Back-to-back points from the Falcons trimmed the margin back to one, but the Rams ran outscored the hosts 10-1 from there to stretch their cushion to 20-12.
- Things remained interesting as Albertus Magnus rolled off four straight points to slice the distance to four, 20-16.
- The conference counterparts went point-for-point the rest of the way and it landed in Suffolk's favor, 25-20.
SET THREE RECAP (25-18, ALBERTUS MAGNUS)
- Suffolk's early 8-5 edge was not enough to hold off the Falcons, who put together five straight points to in front, 10-8.
- That ran helped the Falcons hold onto a 16-14 lead at the midway point and grew to a 21-14 Albertus Magnus' frame behind a 5-0 spurt.
- The blue-and-gold had too much ground to make up and the set landed in hosts' favor, 25-18.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- Out of a 7-7 tie, kills from Kayla Barbera and Stephanie Rheaume pushed Suffolk in front, 9-7, forcing the Falcons to take a timeout.
- The playing field would level again at 11, but another Rams' rally turned it into a 16-12 stanza for the blue-and-gold.
- Albertus Magnus fought back, however, and pulled within on, 19-18.
- Suffolk held the Falcons off, outscoring the hosts, 6-1 the rest of the way to take the frame, 25-19, and force a fifth.
SET FIVE RECAP (15-6, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk trailed 5-3 early on.
- The Rams rolled from there with nine unanswered points to make it a lopsided 12-5 score in their favor.
- From there, the only point the Falcons would score would result from a Rams attack error to break up the Suffolk scoring stretch.
- After that, the blue-and-gold sealed the match with three quick points, including one kill from Sarah Mullahy and Stephanie Rheaume, respectively.
- Barbrera notched a double-double effort of 14 kills and 11 digs to go along with two aces and one block.
- Fabiano contributed 12 kills, nine digs, three aces, two blocks and one handout.
- Bell had an all-around day with a 25-dig, 22-assist effort. The freshman was one kill shy of a triple double with nine to her credit along with one ace and one block.
- Mullahy chipped in nine kills and two digs.
- Harmony Johnson recorded 21 handouts and seven digs.
- Suffolk won its eighth straight match versus Albertus Magnus to claim a 20-3 all-time lead in the series.
- The Rams opened the conference calendar 2-0 for the first time since 2014.
- Suffolk and Albertus Magnus went to five sets for the second time in the all-time series, first since 2017. The blue-and-gold owns both 3-2 victories.
- The Rams strung together back-to-back five-set thrillers in successive matches for the first time since 1997.
- Barbera's double-double was the second of the season and seventh time in her collegiate career.
- Bell, who registered her first double-double in college, posted career-high numbers in kills (9), attack percentage (.500), and blocks (1).
Suffolk is back home Tuesday, Sept. 17 when it entertains Gordon at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court. The non-conference clash is set for a 7p.m. firsts serve.