BOSTON – Suffolk volleyball slipped in a cross-city matchup in straight sets, falling at Wentworth, 3-0, Tuesday night at Tansey Gymnasium. The Rams setback came by set scores 25-18, 25-23 and 25-15.
SCORE: Suffolk 0 | Wentworth 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (9-5) | Wentworth (8-4)
SET ONE RECAP (25-18, WENTWORTH)
- Suffolk early 3-1 edge did not last.
- The Leopards evened the score at 3-all, the first of what would be seven ties.
- Along the way the lead exchanged five times with the last coming in Wentworth's favor a part of a 6-0 Leopard's run that put the blue-and-gold in a 16-11 hole.
- Harmony Johnson's second kill of the set chipped the deficit to four, 21-14.
- Wentworth maintained the margin, however, outscoring the Rams, 4-1, the remainder of the way to lock up the frame.
SET TWO RECAP (25-23, WENTWORTH)
- Four lead changes and three ties were featured over the first seven points of the stanza.
- Suffolk found itself down, 6-3, and responded with four points in a row to gain a 7-6 edge.
- The Leopards answered the Rams' 4-0 spurt with one of their own to flip the switch in their favor, 10-7, which forced Scott Blanchard to call a timeout.
- Wentworth continued to cruise out of the huddle to build a 14-8 advantage at the midway point.
- The distance remained at six points, 19-13, before the Rams made a comeback attempt.
- Suffolk went on a 7-2 stretch to cut the deficit to one, 21-20.
- This time, Wentworth used a break to talk things over, but Kaleigh Khanna kept her composure out of the huddle at the service line to equalize the set at 21.
- Back-to-back points from the Leopards were answered by a kill from Kayla Barbera that kept Suffolk's hopes alive.
- The Leopards sandwiched points around a Stephanie Rheaume kill, however, to seal the deal in their favor.
SET THREE RECAP (25-15, WENTWORTH)
- Suffolk fell behind by eight early on.
- The Leopards held onto their eight-point cushion for the majority of the frame including at 20-12 before Blanchard used his second and last timeout of the set.
- A Rams run never came and Wentworth went on to capture the set and match.
- Johnson had an all-around evening with 19 assists, nine kills, four kills, one ace and one block.
- Barbera contributed six kills, six digs, one block and one handout.
- Khanna chipped in six kills, one ace and one assist.
- Kenzley Bell registered 10 digs, six kills, two assists, one block and one ace.
- Dakhensey Marcellus had a 16-dig, two-assist effort.
- Monica Bolduk notched a personal-best five digs.
- Johnson matched a career-high four kills.
- Stephanie Rheaume matched a career-best three blocks.
Suffolk is back on the friendly confines of the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court this Saturday, Sept. 28 as it hosts Norwich and Western New England in an awareness tri-match. The Rams will Lace Up for Pediatric Cancer against the Cadets at 11 a.m. and the Golden Bears at 3 p.m.