BOSTON – Suffolk volleyball secured its first-ever season 20th win in post-season action as the fourth-seeded Rams put together a straight set victory over fifth seed Colby Sawyer in the GNAC Quarterfinals Tuesday night at Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court. The postseason triumph came via set scores 25-21, 25-20 and 25-20.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 | Colby Sawyer 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (20-11) | Colby Sawyer (17-18)
SET ONE RECAP (25-21, SUFFOLK)
- Down 5-2, a Kayla Barbera kill jump started a Suffolk comeback that saw back-to-back kills from Hannah Fabiano level the playing field.
- The Chargers collected the next point, but it was blue-and-gold, from there as a Stephanie Rheaume kill boasted 5-0 Rams run that made it a 10-6 set in the hosts favor.
- Suffolk never relinquished its four-point margin, instead, it built on the momentum and gained an eight-point advantage, 19-12.
- Colby Sawyer caught up and cut the distance to three, 24-21, which forced Scott Blanchard to take a timeout.
- Out of the huddle, the Rams took care of business and Barbera's fourth kill of the frame sealed the deal for Suffolk.
SET TWO RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Colby Sawyer put the first point on the board before the Rams rattled off seven straight including a pair of aces by Barbera to put the blue-and-gold ahead 7-1.
- An early Chargers timeout did not stop Suffolk, who pushed its cushion to seven, 11-4.
- A comeback came for CSC as it outscored the Rams 8-3 to trim the deficit to two, 14-12.
- Blanchard's break slowed down Colby Sawyer for a second, but not for long, as it managed to make it a one-point stanza, 15-14.
- Suffolk slowly gained a four-point lead, 21-17, which saw CSC use its second timeout of the stanza.
- The Rams maintained their composure down the stretch to grab a 2-0 advantage in the match.
SET THREE RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk handled the opening portion to take a hefty 20-9 cushion.
- Colby Sawyer put on a comeback show, outscoring the Rams, 12-2, to climb within five, 22-17.
- After Blanchard took a timeout, the team's traded points the remainder of the way, which allowed Suffolk to clinch the victory.
- Fabiano led the way for the blue-and-gold with a 14-kill, 12-dig, double-double effort.
- Barbera was on the verge of a double-double as well with 11 kills and eight digs to go along with three aces and one helper.
- Johnson fell one dig short of a double-double with assists (38) and digs (9) with the rookie also recording one ace, block, and kill, respectively.
- Rheaume registered seven kills and three blocks.
- Kenzley Bell put together an all-around night of five kills, five digs, three aces and one block.
- Suffolk and Colby Sawyer met in the GNAC postseason for the first time in program history.
- The Rams hosted their second-ever league playoff game, first since 2005.
- Suffolk put together its first 20-win season in program history.
- The Rams advanced to the conference semifinals for the second straight season and second time in program history.
- Both of Suffolk's GNAC Quarterfinal wins have come in straight set fashion.
- The blue-and-gold defeated Colby Sawyer for the second straight meeting to move to 2-7 all-time against the Chargers.
- The sweep is the first for Suffolk over Colby Sawyer.
Suffolk moves on to the GNAC semifinals where it will face Johnson & Wales Thursday, Nov. 7 in Providence, Rhode Island.