CHARLESTOWN, Mass. – The Suffolk men's hockey team put on an offensive clinic Friday night as the Rams cruised past Franklin Pierce, 7-0, to lift the lid on their 2018-19 campaign at Emmons Horrigan O'Neil Memorial Rink.
SCORE: Suffolk 7, Franklin Pierce 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-0-0) | Franklin Pierce (0-1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk's scoring began at the midway point of the first frame as Tommy Bishop and Jack Kelly scored 25 seconds apart to build an early two-goal edge. Bishop used a beauty of a set-up from Joe Vingi to find the back of the net at the 11:55-minute mark with Kelly's first goal of the night following 25 seconds.
A scoring frenzy came again for the Rams to cap off the first 20 minutes with Kelly once again quickly following up a Suffolk score. Joseph Mortillaro put one away with 1:01 left to play in the first period and Kelly scored his second of the evening just 14 seconds later to send the blue-and-gold into the locker room with a 4-0 cushion.
David Lappin joined the scoring frenzy with help from Billy Roche eight minutes into the second stanza to add to Suffolk's lead. Joe Admirand got in on the action eight minutes later to push it to a six-goal game after two periods.
Sean Montgomery potted his first collegiate score 6:09 into the final frame for Suffolk's seventh score of the night.
Down the stretch Michael Levine remained perfect in between the pipes for Suffolk to secure the shutout.
- Levine's opening-night performance saw the senior stop all 25 shots he faced.
- Ian Wallace suffered the setback for the Ravens after giving up five goals in 27:56 minutes of action.
- In relief, Kyle Maritn turned aside 20 shots for FPU.
- Kelly paced a well-balanced attacked for Suffolk as the sophomore had a pair of goals and one assist.
- Bryan also had three points all off handouts.
- Admirand, Bishop, Lappin, Montgomery and Mortillaro each produced one for Suffolk.
- Nick Abbene, Matt Bucher, Joe Feeney, Roche, Miller Rubin and Vingi each contributed one assist.
- Suffolk held a hefty advantage in shots, 48-25.
- The Rams had a slim advantage in the faceoff circle, 44-43.
- Suffolk and Franklin Pierce met for the first time in the Rams' season debut.
- The Rams won their eighth consecutive campaign opener.
- Suffolk's seven goals are the most in a Rams' season opener according to the program's record book, which date back to the 1999-00 season.
- The Rams notched a shutout in the season debut for the first time in the record books.
- Suffolk improved to 12-5-2 all-time versus the Ravens.
- Suffolk tied the margin of victory over Franklin Pierce, which it set in the series debut in a 11-4 decision over the Ravens Dec. 4, 2002.
- The Rams shutout the Ravens for the second time in the all-time series, first since a 1-0 cleansheet against FPU Feb. 14, 2017.
- Levine earned his third career shutout.
- Kelly matched a career-high three points on a personal-best two goals and one handout.
- Bryan handed out a career-best three assists.
- Admirand and Montgomery each scored their first collegiate goals.
- Bucher matched a personal-best one assist.
- Feeney and Roche each earned their first collegiate points with one assist apiece.
- Rubin handed out his first helper.
Suffolk is back in action tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 27 as it hits the road for the first time with a visit to Assumption on the calendar. Game time is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. at Buffone Arena.