WORCESTER, Mass. – Assumption handed Suffolk men's hockey its first loss of the season as the Rams slipped to the Greyhounds, 4-2, Saturday night at Buffone Arena.
SCORE: Suffolk 2, Assumption 4
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-1-0) | Assumption (1-0-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
In a penalty heavy outing, Suffolk started the scoring on the powerplay with Mikhail Bryan teaming up with Jack Kelly for a score at the 7:23 mark. Bryan's first goal of the season sent the Rams into the locker room at the first intermission up one.
Assumption put away three goals over the second set of 20 minutes to take an advantage. Robert Holyoke got the rally going. Holyoke used fresh legs out of the locker room to strike just 27 seconds into the stanza. Kelly broke open the 1-all tie with an unassisted mark at the 5:39 minute mark to regain the edge for the Rams, but it was shortlived as Dante Tomassini put away a shorthanded strike nearly six minutes later to even the non-conference contest at 2-2. Holyoke's second powerplay goal of the day put the hosts in front for the first in final time with 5:07 left on the clock in the second.
The Greyhounds wasted no time to tact on an insurance goal as Matt Damelio potted the puck seven seconds off the initial third period faceoff to gain a 4-2 cushion for Assumption it did not give up.
- In his first start and appearance of the season Will Ribas stopped 31 shots.
- David Zulauf picked up 38 saves in the victory.
- Kelly led the trio of Rams who collected a point as the sophomore had two to his credit on one goal and one assist.
- Bryan scored once with Brian Brooks registered one point on a handout.
- Suffolk outshot Assumption, 40-35.
- The Greyhounds won the battle in the face-off circle, 39-32.
- Kelly has put together multi-point outings in each of Suffolk's two games this season.
- Bryan has contributed at least one point in the each of the Rams' contest this year with one goal tonight and three assists in the season opener.
Suffolk remains on the road as it travels to Salem State next Saturday, Nov. 3 for a 3 p.m. non-conference clash.