SATURDAY, SEPT. 22 // 2:30 PM
BOSTON – The Suffolk women's volleyball team makes the short trip across the Boston Commons Saturday, Sept. 22 for a non-conference match at Beantown foe Emerson. First serve is set for 2:30 p.m.
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics by connecting with the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamNation for an insider's look at Suffolk's teams and student-athletes.
LAST TIME OUT
The Suffolk volleyball team stayed live, forcing a fourth set, but could not complete the comeback as Salem State handled the Rams in the final frame to take the 3-1 non-conference victory Wednesday night at Twohig Gymnasium. Suffolk's setback came by set scores, 25-17, 25-17, 25-27 and 25-11.
MORE READING: Volleyball Bested in Four at Salem State
Suffolk looks to snap a two-match skid that put the Rams at 2-6 overall.
Hannah Fabiano and Kayla Barbera have provided a one-two offensive punch for the Rams' this season. Fabiano's 2.63 kps lead the way with the sophomore hitting .245 with Barbera falling in a close second with 2.10 kps. Barbera has been a force at the service line as well with 0.70 aces per set. Talia Lombardo has taken over the setting duties with 6.38 assists per set to go along iwht 0.54 aces pet set and 1.15 dps.
Dakhensey Marcellus holds down Suffolk's defense with 4.00 dps.
Emerson brings in a 6-6 record into Saturday, but has fallen in the last five matches including three consecutive sweeps. Prior to taking on Suffolk at 2:30 p.m., the Lions will host Mount Holyoke at 12 p.m.
Emerson's offense sees over 3.00 kps from both Carolyn Vaimoso (3.71 kps) and Grace Tepper (3.37 kps) with Albany Alexander providing 2.43 kps. Moira Brennan is the Lions' primary setter, dishing out 9.27 assists per set.
Defensively, Fara Cohen paces the pace with 3.51 dps. Tepper helps out as well with 3.15 dps with Jessica Braunstein leading at the net with 0.58 bps.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Suffolk and Emerson meet again since taking last year off.
- Since 2003, the Rams trail the series with Lions, 2-11.
- Emerson has won 10 straight matches over Suffolk including nine consecutive in straight sets.
- One of Suffolk's wins came in four sets, while the other came via sweep.
- The Rams and Lions need four sets to determine a winner just once with Suffolk coming out victories.
- Suffolk and Emerson went the distance once, in 2006, with the Rams falling in the thriller.
- Every match except two in the all-time series finished in straight sets. Suffolk is 1-10 in three-set matches against Emerson.
- Suffolk looks for its first win over Emerson since a sweep of the Lions Oct. 29, 2005.
Suffolk returns to Regan Gymnasium Tuesday, Sept. 25 when Rivier stops by Beacon Hill for a 7 p.m. GNAC battle.