BOSTON – In a battle between the Boston Commons neighbors, Emerson prevailed over Suffolk volleyball in straight sets Saturday afternoon at Brown & Plofker Gymnasium. The decision came in set scores 25-16, 25-21 and 25-20.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Emerson 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-8) | Emerson (9-6)
SET ONE RECAP (25-16, EMERSON)
- Emerson jumped ahead early with the first six points of the day.
- The Rams cut the margin to two, 6-4, before the Lions rebuilt a a six-point cushion, 12-6.
- That lead extended to 16-9 for the hosts, who then went on a back-and-forth the rest of the way with Suffolk as each team scored seven for the 25-16 outcome.
SET TWO RECAP (25-21, EMERSON)
- A mirror image of the first frame opening happened in the second as the Rams found themselves in a six-point hole.
- Suffolk played catch up and back-to-back aces from Bridget Allison cut the distance down to three, 9-6.
- Emerson remained in front and regain a hefty 17-13 advantage.
- The Rams continued to hassle the hosts and made things interesting as a kill from Hannah Fabiano was followed by a Lions' attack error that put the blue-and-gold within one, 22-21.
- The Lions halted the Rams there and scored the final three points of the set to take the stanza, 25-21.
SET THREE RECAP (25-20, EMERSON)
- This time Emerson went on a 5-1 run to get things started.
- Thanks to six unanswered points the Lions gained a 16-6 lead at the midway point.
- Suffolk used a 10-2 run to comeback and pull within two, 19-17.
- The teams traded points before the Lions scored three of the final four to take the set and the match, 25-20.
- Fabaino's eight-kill day led Suffolk's attack that received seven kills from Kayla Barbera and five from Allison.
- Barbera anchored the defense with 11 digs with Dakhensey Marcellus chipping in nine.
- Talia Lombardo contributed all over with 25 assists, eight digs, and a pair of kills.
Suffolk returns to the friendly confines of Regan Gymnasium Tuesday, Sept. 25 as it entertains Rivier at 7 p.m.