BOSTON – coming off the a pair of five-set thrilling triumphs, the Suffolk volleyball team is back at the friendly confines at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court Tuesday, Sept. 17 for a tangle with Gordon. The non-conference tilt is set to begin at 7 p.m.
LET'S TALK ABOUT #RAMNATION
RamNation has a chance to keep up with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics, its student-athletes and teams by following the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
LAST TIME OUT
For the second time in as many matches, Suffolk volleyball rallied and captured a 3-2 GNAC victory, this time taking down Albertus Magnus in five-set fashion Saturday afternoon at the Cosgrove Messier Athletic Center. The league triumph came via set scores of 20-25, 25-20, 18-25, 25-19 and 15-6.
MORE READING: Volleyball Grabs Five-Set Win at Albertus Magnus
Suffolk has rattled off three victories including back-to-back five-set wins to hold a 6-3 record.
The Rams' 10.52 kps offense sees a trio contribute over 2.00 kps in Hannah Fabiano (2.73), Kayla Barbera (2.22) and Sarah Mullahy (2.15). Harmony Johnson has taken on the bulk load of the setting responsibilities, dishing out 8.00 aps with help from Kenzley Bell, who has 2.42 aps to her credit.
Bell leads the defensive unit with 4.61 dps. The freshman receives consistent contributors from Barbera and Dakhensey Marcellus, who provide 2.63 dps and 2.28 dps, respectively. Stephanie Rheaume anchors the net defense with 0.35 blocks per set.
FIGHTING SCOTS SCOUT
Gordon has traded wins and losses to sit at .500 (5-5) on the year and heads into Tuesday after a 3-0 setback to Wheaton.
Macie Carroll's 3.00 kps leads the way for the Fighting Scots with Jamie Tafoya adding 2.04 kps to the offense, which is primarily set up by Ashley Gergins' 8.19 aps.
Jenny Curtiss paces Gordon defensively with 3.42 dps with Valerie Nilan pitching in 1.00 bps.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Tuesday's tilt marks the ninth meeting all-time versus Suffolk and Gordon.
- The Rams trail the all-time series, 2-6, and have fallen in four straight.
- Both of the blue-and-gold's victories over Gordon came in straight sets in 2010 and 2013, respectively.
- Five matches were decided in sweeps. Suffolk is 2-3 in such decisions.
- A pair of battles went the distance with the Fighting Scots winning both 3-2 outings.
- Suffolk and Gordon went to four sets once, in 2011, which the Fighting Scots won.
- Last season, the Rams fell 3-0 to the Fighting Scots, Oct. 15, 2018.
Suffolk continues its home stretch Thursday, Sept. 19 when it welcomes Salem State to Beacon Hill for a 7 p.m. battle.